The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia has a long and distinguished tradition of research that has spanned nearly a century. The research breakthroughs at Children's Hospital have improved the lives of countless children throughout the world and put the institution on the course to pediatric research preeminence.
Research at the Hospital had modest beginnings. The Hospital established its first research laboratory in 1922 as a single room in its basement. By 1931, the Hospital founded the “Society of Pediatric Research” for its expanding base of investigators, who conducted their experiments wherever space permitted.
These beginnings gained significant momentum in 1972 when Children's Hospital designated 70,000 square feet to research and established the Research Institute, the first pediatric research department in the country.
Today, the Hospital's entire research enterprise is organized under the aegis of the CHOP Research Institute and constitutes a separate organizational, administrative and financial entity within the Hospital.